A Florida man accidentally doused $60 worth of gasoline onto the deck of his boat, and onto the ground of an Orlando gas station Monday morning, according to Orange County Fire Rescue.
The 31-year-old man, who was not identified, erroneously placed the gasoline nozzle into a fishing pole slot and began pumping gas at the 7-Eleven at 2929 Orange Blossom Trail near Silver Star Road, said OCFR’s spokesman Mike Jachles.
As he continued to do so, gas flowed from the hole and onto the deck of his 24-foot-long boat. The man realized his mistake, and stopped pumping.
While he tried to clean up the mess, gasoline began leaking from the boat onto the 7-Eleven property. The man told 7-Eleven personnel and then called OCFR’s non-emergency number for help, Jachles said.
OCFR squads 1, 3 and Technical Rescue Team 1 arrived to siphon the gas from the boat, and clean up the situation.
The situation was described as a “level 3 hazmat,” meaning the potential of hazard was high, Jachles said.
“The boater did the right thing and waited for us to arrive before leaving,” Jachles said. “If he had driven off with gas leaking onto OBT, it could’ve been a very different situation. All it takes is one spark, and we have a serious issue.”
OCFR had the situation cleaned within three hours time.
#HazMat 11 35 a.m. 2929 N. Orange Blossom Trail: A #floridaman was so excited to go fishing with his buddies today, he accidentally put the gas nozzle where the fishing pole goes and pumped 30 gals. of gas into the cockpit of the 18-foot vessel. pic.twitter.com/GyVhRJPL1j
— OCFire Rescue (@OCFireRescue) January 27, 2020
(c)2020 The Orlando Sentinel (Orlando, Fla.)
Visit The Orlando Sentinel (Orlando, Fla.) at www.OrlandoSentinel.com
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.