The Grand Rapids Press, Mich.
WHITE PIGEON, MI — A survivor of a house fire that killed a pregnant woman and a 7-year-old boy told investigators the house was having “electrical issues” prior to the fire.
Residents of the home, in the 100 block of West Chicago Road, were using extension cords to bypass the problem, fire officials were told.
The fire, at 3:11 a.m. Tuesday, Dec. 4, killed a 36-year-old pregnant woman and a 7-year-old boy who were trapped on the second-floor and could not escape.
Nine other people made it out of the home, including a child rescued through a window, and seven were taken to a hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation.
White Pigeon Fire Chief Troy Andrews, in a news release issued later Tuesday, said fire investigators talked to occupants of the home to try to determine a potential cause.
One person said they woke up to find a couch on fire. Another person told authorities they saw flames coming from behind a different couch in the same room.
“The occupant also stated they had been having electrical issues and he had run extension cords,” according to the release.
Firefighters said that when they arrived at the scene, they found heavy fire coming out of multiple windows. They tried several times to enter the house and reach the second floor, but fire prevented their efforts.
Authorities said six of the seven people taken to the hospital were released later Tuesday. The other person was being evaluated for medical conditions not related to the fire.
©2018 The Grand Rapids Press, Mich.
Visit The Grand Rapids Press, Mich. at www.mlive.com/grpress
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.