Home Fire News Firefighters arrive at house fire to find 9-year-old dead, 2 burned trying...

Firefighters arrive at house fire to find 9-year-old dead, 2 burned trying to save him

SHARE

Remsen, N.Y. — A 9-year-old boy died early Wednesday after his Oneida County home caught fire.

Everett Newman, a fourth grader at Remsen Central School, was found dead by firefighters in the second story of his Remsen home, said the Oneida County Sheriff’s Office. Two of his family members were severely burned trying to save the boy from the burning home, deputies said.

The fire at 9576 Maple Ave. was reported at 12:43 a.m.

When the Remsen Fire Department arrived, two residents were trying to rescue Everett, deputies said. The residents — Louis Newman, 67, and Amelia Newman, 37, — both had severe burns on their heads and arms, deputies said.

Everett’s body was carried out of the home at 2:18 a.m., deputies said. Shortly after, firefighters had the blaze under control, deputies said.

Investigators believe the fire started in a wood stove on the first floor of the home.

Louis Newman and Amelia Newman were transported to St. Elizabeth Hospital.

(c)2019 Syracuse Media Group, N.Y.
Visit Syracuse Media Group, N.Y. at www.syracuse.com
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

If you have any problems viewing this article, please report it here.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here