New Jersey fire crews rescued one of their own Saturday night after a former firefighter’s home caught fire.

53-year-old John Ryan was heading into bed when he noticed a fire on his garage floor.

“I went to get a garden hose to extinguish it,” Ryan said, forgetting that the water had been turned off for the winter.

“I wanted to see if maybe I could just stomp it out. As soon as I opened the door, there was enough air – it flashed over.”

Ryan was incapacitated by the flames. While his wife -who is also a former firefighter- attempted to drag him to safety, she was not physically up to the task. Out of options, she called 911.

Not long after placing the call, two Butler Police Department officers -one who is a volunteer firefighter- managed to pull Ryan to safety.

“I certainly think the fire department training has helped me throughout my career, in responding to any fire alarm calls,” Sergeant Colleen Pascale told ABC7.

Ryan -who served as the Butler VFD fire chief- never expected that he would need rescuing. Fortunately, his fellow firefighters were there -just in time- to lend him a helping hand.

 

© 2017 Bright Mountain Media, Inc. All rights reserved.

The content of this webpage may not be reproduced or used in any manner whatsoever without the express written consent of Bright Mountain Media, Inc. which may be contacted at info@brightmountainmedia.com, ticker BMTM.