Home Fire News Unplowed driveway leaves firefighters without access to burning home

Unplowed driveway leaves firefighters without access to burning home


A fire on Mill Road had New Canaan firefighters calling for assistance after an unplowed driveway left them unable to access the home.

On Feb. 13 around 10 p.m., the New Canaan fire department responded to a call at a two-story house at 208 Mill Road after the homes smoke detectors went off. When firefighters arrived, they found the 1,000-foot shared driveway was unplowed and covered in ice. The first truck that tried to get up the driveway got stuck, according to Fire Chief Jack Hennessey.

If we couldn’t get in, an ambulance or police car couldn’t get in, Hennessey said.

According to Hennessey, the crew was finally able to extinguish the small fire using portable fire extinguishers from their trucks and a garden hose. Crew members had to carry gear and the extinguishers from the front of the house into the home. The department received aid from Wilton, Vista, Norwalk, Stamford and Pound Ridge.

The fire was a result of a crack in the fireplace that allowed hot embers to fall out into the structure of the building. There were no injuries and the house suffered minimal structural damage.

(c) 2017 Arab Times Kuwait English Daily. All Rights Reserved. Provided by SyndiGate Media Inc. (Syndigate.info).

If you have any problems viewing this article, please report it here.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here