FireFightingNews.com
Print article

Chickens Escape Manchester Fire
December 2, 2013

Connecticut - A half-dozen back yard chickens dodged a roasting Saturday when a fire broke out in their coop. The blaze at 329 Kennedy Road was reported about 6:30 p.m. A resident smelled smoke, went out onto a back yard deck and discovered the wooden coop near the house engulfed in flames, Fire Chief Robert Bycholski wrote in a news release. The woman and her teenage daughter evacuated the home.

All six chickens in the coop escaped. A resident opened a gate in the wire fence surrounding the coop, and the chickens "smarched themselves" to a nearby shed, Bycholski wrote. Firefighters had the blaze under control at 6:36 p.m. The coop was destroyed and there was fire damage to the home's aluminum siding and kitchen window. The house was found to be habitable, Bycholski wrote.

The coop had contained a heat lamp and a heater to keep the chickens' water from freezing. The fire marshal found that one of these electrical appliances likely overheated and sparked the blaze, Bycholski wrote.

Written by Hartford Courant

FireFightingNews.com - FireFighter Owned and Operated
©2014 e-Firefighter, LLC - All Rights Reserved.