Windham Firefighters Save Swetts Road House
February 10, 2013
Maine - Heavy snowfall hampered the efforts of firefighters who responded to a fire at 81 Swetts Road, but it didn't stop them from saving the house, Deputy Chief David Nichols said Saturday afternoon. One firefighter suffered minor smoke inhalation and was taken from the scene in an ambulance but was released from the local hospital after an evaluation, the deputy chief also said.
"The garage was fully involved when we arrived," Nichols said. "It was an attached garage with a second story."
Deep snow and high winds were challenges, he said.
"We got a couple trucks stuck and we were dealing with snow drifts that were thigh high," Nichols said.
The garage was destroyed and smoke and flames reached the house, but "they will be able to rebuild," the deputy chief said.
The family, who was not identified, has insurance and was getting assistance from the local Red Cross chapter, he said
The fire, which started in the garage and has been deemed "accidental," was reported at around 6:20 a.m. Firefighters returned to their station at around 11 a.m., Nichols said.
Written by Bangor Daily News
FireFightingNews.com - FireFighter Owned and Operated
©2013 e-Firefighter, LLC - All Rights Reserved.