The fire's cause was "an unspecified electrical malfunction of a screen print dryer," Baker said.
There was no dollar estimate yet of the damage. Firefighters managed to save about 20 other businesses in the mall.
Several 911 callers reported the 3:05 p.m. blaze at the 29th Street Business Plaza, which is across the street from Freedom Park and near South Swan Road.
The fire was brought under control at 5:13 p.m. by nearly 60 firefighters, Equipment on the scene included three ladder trucks that dumped 1,500 gallons of water a minute on the blaze, Baker said. The roof caved in on the four spaces the blaze destroyed. It wasn't immediately known if all four were occupied, Baker said.
"We heard large booms when the roof collapsed," said Veronica Salvador, who lives nearby.
The fire sent thick, billowing smoke that could be seen from across Tucson.
East 29th Street between South Swan Road and South Rosemont Avenue was expected to be closed through the night.
Written by The Arizona Daily Star