In addition to a house fire near Eagle Mountain Lake this morning, Fort Worth firefighters have been battling the extreme cold. The fire was reported about 8:30 a.m. in the 8500 block of Woodlake Circle and firefighters were still at the scene as of 11:45 a.m.
preliminary information indicates the homeowner called in the fire and that it may have originated in the home's chimney, said fire department spokesman Timothy Hardeman. He said everyone appears to have gotten out of the house safely.
Though the fire has since been brought under control, Hardeman said firefighters apparently had problems with equipment freezing. He said cold weather can pose challenges for firefighters, including the freezing of pumps and plumbing apparatus on trucks carrying water tanks.
Hardeman said commanders at the scene typically call in extra fire crews and resources to limit the amount of time firefighters are exposed to the elements during extreme temperatures like this morning's.
"You think fighting fires would keep you warm but once the fire is out, you're exposed to the elements that much more," Hardeman said.
"Firefighters' gear gets wet. Their gloves get wet. You've got on boots that get wet. Your feet may not get wet but you're standing in water that's been exposed to the elements so you're basically standing in ice water."
Written by Fort Worth Star-Telegram
Courtesy of YellowBrix - YellowBrix