free stats

Advertising Links

Advertising Links

Sponsored Ad


4 1
Aluminum 4 6
Light Weight Red Head Aluminum 2.5 1 3/4
One Man Hose Roller Adjustable Hydrant Wrench Single Head Spanner
1 1/2
Dog Bone Pole Pro-Lite Hook 1 1/2
1.5 1 1/2
4 1/2 150 Foot Hose Strap
Dual Channel Hose Ramp - 4 Dry Hose Rack
1 1/2 1 1/2
6 Aluminum Wheel Chock

Posted November 16, 2006 EST

Home >  Article
Wildfire Arson Suspect Watched Flames
The suspect in a massive arson wildfire that killed five firefighters told investigators he drove to a spot near where it started on the night it was set to watch the flames, according to a police report obtained Wednesday by The Associated Press.

Raymond Lee Oyler, 36, denied having anything to do with the crime when he spoke to investigators on Oct. 27, the day after the fire began. He told investigators he had been gambling at the Morongo Indian Casino & Spa and then stopped at a Shell gas station before "traveling toward the Esperanza fire to watch it," according to the document that summarizes Oyler's interviews with police.

The affidavit said Oyler took an exit onto surface streets that would have placed him close to the spot where the fire started but does not exactly specify where he stopped.

Oyler was charged Nov. 2 with multiple counts of murder and arson, and could face the death penalty. He also is charged with starting 10 other fires in the same area since early June.

Investigators pulled surveillance video from the casino and the gas station and did not find images of Oyler at either location during the times he said he was there, according to the affidavit, which was given to the AP by a person with knowledge of the investigation. The person insisted on anonymity because all documents in the case have been sealed.

The fire charred more than 60 square miles about 90 miles east of Los Angeles. The firefighters died when they were overrun by flames as they tried to protect a house in Twin Pines.

Oyler's lawyer, Mark McDonald, said his client did watch the fire, but said he was part of a crowd of dozens of people outside the casino who had gathered to watch the flames race up the hillside on the other side of Interstate 10. He said prosecutors did not find images of Oyler at the casino or the gas station because he was actually there several hours later, at around 3:30 a.m.

When the fire erupted, McDonald said, Oyler was at home with his 7-month-old baby and had no access to a car because his girlfriend was shopping for baby supplies. He said his client's whereabouts could be verified by his girlfriend and sister, and by a record of phone calls he placed from his house.

Michael Hestrin, a Riverside County deputy district attorney prosecuting the case, declined to comment Wednesday.

The documents also say investigators recovered a hand-held lighter, two large empty gas cans, a wig, cans of spray paint and a slingshot that appeared to have been used to launch a burning item.

McDonald said the slingshot was a toy that Oyler confiscated earlier from his nephew. He said the wig belonged to a teenage girl who had left it in Oyler's car after a school skit.

A bail affidavit said that investigators found incendiary devices made of wood matches and a cigarette at the scene of the June 9 and June 10 arson fires that contained DNA that matched Oyler's genetic profile.

The affidavit obtained Wednesday by the AP shows that investigators found nearly identical devices at all the fires but one. Those devices consisted of anything between five and seven wood or paper matches arranged around a cigarette - often a Marlboro - and sometime secured with duct tape or rubber bands.

Written by Associated Press

Courtesy of © 2006, YellowBrix, Inc. - YellowBrix