A yard debris fire spread to a home at 510 Bee Street west of Walterboro Thursday afternoon, 27-February. At 15:54, Colleton County (SC) Fire-Rescue was notified that the fire had burned under the residence and the home was full of smoke. Engine 24 arrived six minutes later to find heavy smoke coming from the singlewide mobile home and flames under the full length of the building extending up the walls in several places. Firefighters deployed two 1-3/4 handlines with one crew working the front of the home and the other extinguishing flames at the rear. After five minutes, most of the exterior flames were extinguished, but the fire had burned into the walls along the back of the mobile home and in several places along the front. Firefighters removed the exterior metal siding and pull up the floor in multiple rooms to reach the remaining flames. A great deal of personal items were salvaged, but the home suffered heavy damage. The fire was caused by a few leaf piles that were burning in the yard. Lights winds of 10 mph spread the fire through the yard until it burned underneath the mobile home. The fire then spread to the structure. All occupants safely exited the building. Water supply was conducted with Tenders. The Charleston Chapter of the American Red Cross is assisting the family. Engine 19, Engine 24, Engine 27, Tender 1, Tender 19, Tender 27, Medic 19, Battalion 1, Car 12 and Car 118 responded. Battalion Chief Scott Feather served as Incident Commander.
Written and photos by Barry McRoy