free stats
Last Updated - April 18, 2014

Products 


Services


Popular Links



Advertising Links


Posted December 20, 2013 EST

Home >  Article
Rock Mount Firefighters "Make The Grab" On Occupant
Rock Mount Firefighters Bookmark and Share

Email A Friend

Report Error

Feedback

Print
United States (North Carolina) - Shortly before 6 p.m. on December 13, 2013 Rocky Mount, NC firefighters were dispatched to a dwelling fire on the 300 block of Rose Street. First arriving Engine Co. 1 reported that they had a single-story dwelling with heavy fire and smoke showing from the A, B, and D side with exposures on both sides.
Engine 1 established a 5" water supply and deployed four (4) 1 3/4" hose lines. Ladder 20 and Rescue 1 assumed back-up and attack lines. Engine 5 manned exposure lines.
Two female occupants had exited the dwelling before arrival of firefighters An additional fire unit was requested due to the need for additional manpower upon finding a 76 year old female burn victim suffering over 50% burns to her body.
Patient care was provided and turned over to Edgecombe Emergency Medical Service who immediately requested for a life flight to UNC Chapel Hill Burn Center. Firefighters assisted with transporting and setting up a landing zone for the helicopter. There were also reports that one additional person may still be inside the burning dwelling.
Four 1 3/4 attack lines were in service at that time. One on each side of the dwelling knocking down the spread of the fire to the exposures. Firefighters were able to knock down the flames on the front porch and enter the blazing dwelling with a search team. An aggressive interior attack was being made quickly knocking down the flames on the first floor. Primary and Secondary searches were performed and was confirmed that
everyone was out of the dwelling.
The 76 year old victim was listed in critical condition but succumbed from her injuries a few days later.
It took firefighters over 45 minutes to bring blaze under control and remained on the scene for a few hours overhauling. Upon investigation by the Rocky Mount Fire Marshal Robbie Pate expressed that the fire started in the bedroom from an electrical extension cord that was over loaded.
The dwelling received extensive damage there no other injuries from
the 30 plus fire and EMS personnel on the scene.

Rocky Mount FD units on scene - Engine 1, Engine 2, Engine 5, Ladder 10, Ladder 30, Rescue 1, Battalion 1, Battalion 2.

Photos by Rocky Mount FD Photographer
Written by Bob Bartosz

Courtesy of - User-Submitted Photo Story

Rock Mount Firefighters

Rock Mount Firefighters

Rock Mount Firefighters

Rock Mount Firefighters

Rock Mount Firefighters