free stats
Last Updated - April 17, 2014

Products 


Services


Popular Links



Advertising Links


Posted December 3, 2013 EST

Home >  Article
Firefighters Rescue Man From Window In Burning Spenard Apartment
United States (Alaska) - Anchorage firefighters say they rescued a man from a multi-family apartment complex in Spenard early Tuesday morning after a smoky fire forced him to take refuge in his bedroom window. No one was injured in the fire. Crews said the man was "lucky to be alive" because there were no working smoke detectors in his apartment, Anchorage Fire Department spokesman Al Tamagni said.

The fire displaced six people at the two-story multiplex in the 2300 block of Jefferson Avenue, according to Laura Spano, spokeswoman for American Red Cross of Alaska. A Red Cross team responded to the fire early Tuesday but it wasn't clear if any residents needed places to stay, Spano said. The team planned to re-evaluate housing needs during the day, she said.

The man called 911 at 3:21 a.m. and calmly told dispatchers his apartment was filling with smoke and he was in his bedroom with the door shut, Tamagni said. Dispatchers told the man to stay in the room, located above a garage.

The first of 14 units to arrive at 3:25 a.m. discovered the man leaning out his window and rescued him, he said.

The fire was limited to the man's apartment. Firefighters estimated it did $30,000 in damage.

Crews had the fire under control at 3:39 a.m., dispatch records show.

The first responders told dispatchers they didn't see flames when they got to the address but did see plentiful smoke coming from the roof. Tamagni said the preliminary cause appears to an ember from a fireplace that ignited the living room carpet and debris on it after a screen to the fireplace was left open.

Written by Anchorage Daily News

Courtesy of NewsEdge
By utilizing the content on this page, you agree to the legal terms.

Bookmark and Share