free stats
Last Updated - April 20, 2014

Products 


Services


Popular Links



Advertising Links


Posted December 2, 2013 EST

Home >  Article
Chickens Escape Manchester Fire
United States (Connecticut) - A half-dozen back yard chickens dodged a roasting Saturday when a fire broke out in their coop. The blaze at 329 Kennedy Road was reported about 6:30 p.m. A resident smelled smoke, went out onto a back yard deck and discovered the wooden coop near the house engulfed in flames, Fire Chief Robert Bycholski wrote in a news release. The woman and her teenage daughter evacuated the home.

All six chickens in the coop escaped. A resident opened a gate in the wire fence surrounding the coop, and the chickens "smarched themselves" to a nearby shed, Bycholski wrote. Firefighters had the blaze under control at 6:36 p.m. The coop was destroyed and there was fire damage to the home's aluminum siding and kitchen window. The house was found to be habitable, Bycholski wrote.

The coop had contained a heat lamp and a heater to keep the chickens' water from freezing. The fire marshal found that one of these electrical appliances likely overheated and sparked the blaze, Bycholski wrote.

Written by Hartford Courant

Courtesy of NewsEdge
By utilizing the content on this page, you agree to the legal terms.

Bookmark and Share