Racine police said Monday the house fire that killed three children and critically injured a fourth was apparently started by a candle. An investigation into the fire by the police and fire departments indicates that the fire started in a first-floor bathroom of the home, said Sgt. Martin Pavilonis, a police spokesman.
Officials said last week that the electricity to the home in the 1900 block of Linden Ave. had been turned off.
The four children were pulled from the burning home by firefighters who described the heat and the smoke as intense.
Two children, Dayja, 9, and her sister, Dalijah, 8, died Thursday after being pulled from the fire.
On Friday their brother, Michael, 7, died of injuries suffered in the fire at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin in Wauwatosa.
A fourth child, Luther Patterson, 5, remains at Children's Hospital.
The children's mother, Deborah Scott, ran from the home to her parents' home across the street and called 911, screaming and crying that her children were trapped in the home and that smoke prevented her from getting them out of the house, fire officials said.
Another man who was in the home, Lemont Siller, 29, was also treated.
Funeral services for the three Scott children will be held Friday in Racine. There will be a public viewing from 9 to 11 a.m. at the Greater Mount Eagle Baptist Church, 920 State St. in Racine.
The funeral service will begin at 11 a.m. Burial will follow at Westlawn Cemetery.
On Thursday there will be a public viewing at the Golden Tate Funeral Home, 1910 Taylor Ave. in Racine, beginning at 10 a.m.
A Scott Children Memorial Family Fund has been established at the Educators Credit Union and Associated Bank in Racine and Kenosha.
Written by Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
Courtesy of YellowBrix - YellowBrix