Eight people were injured after a leaking propane tank exploded and caught fire at a Conroe, Texas, propane distribution company, police said. Firefighters responded to the incident Tuesday at the AmeriGas propane facility after the explosion was reported at noon, a Montgomery County, Texas, Sheriff's Office dispatcher said, adding the fire was contained in about 15 minutes.
Workers were filling propane tanks, used on boats and outdoor barbecues, in an outdoor cylinder exchange area when one leaked, sparking five flash fires that burned several trees and grass on the property, Montgomery County Fire Marshal Jimmie Williams said.
Two of the victims were airlifted to a Galveston hospital and are reported in critical condition. Six others were transported by ambulance to a Conroe hospital, the Fire Marshal's Office said.
Most of the injured suffered burns, and one complained of breathing problems, firefighters said.
"It's not catastrophic. It was not a pressure buildup inside a building. That would have been bad. It was a vapor flash that occurred outdoors," Battalion Chief Albert Martinez of the Caney Creek Fire Department told the Houston Chronicle.
Written by United Press International
Courtesy of YellowBrix - YellowBrix