In all, the blaze at the Sutton Walk complex caused an estimated $750,000 in damages, the fire department said.
Firefighters responded to the 5300 block of 85th Avenue about 1 p.m. for multiple 911 calls reporting a fire, and upon arrival found heavy flames showing from the top two floors of the apartment building, officials said.
The flames also extended into the attic area as firefighters battled to contain them, as more personnel arrived on the scene and others prepped as backup, officials said.
It took 50 firefighters half an hour to bring the fire under control, officials said.
Two firefighters who sustained minor burns while fighting the fire were taken to the burn center at MedStar Washington Hospital Center, officials said.
At least 11 apartments are "uninhabitable," officials said, and as many as 43 were without utilities.
A malfunctioning natural gas stove in a second-story apartment has been blamed for the fire.
Written by The Baltimore Sun
Courtesy of YellowBrix - YellowBrix